1 pound hake fillet, sliced into 3” pieces
3 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
1 pound yellow Yukon potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 “ cubes
1 quart half & half
1 stick of unsalted butter
Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Add potatoes, onion, and a pinch of salt & pepper, and saute until onions and potatoes are slightly translucent, approx 5 minutes
- Add the half & half, 2 cups water, and another pinch of salt & pepper to pot, and bring to a simmer.
- Add hake fillets to pot, and bring back to a simmer. Gently heat on low heat for 25 more minutes (do not boil) to allow flavors to come together. Add more salt & pepper to taste.
- Chowder is best served immediately while warmed with a sprinkle of parsley and oyster crackers.